This St. Patrick’s Day weekend, Rethinking Alcohol and Other Drugs (RAD) is partnering up with local businesses in the San Gabriel Valley on a Public Awareness Campaign to help prevent drunk driving and remind bar and restaurant patrons to plan ahead for a safe St. Patrick’s Day. The holiday is meant to celebrate Saint Patrick and the heritage and culture of the Irish in general. However, reports show that popular “bar holidays” like St. Patrick’s Day are among the most dangerous days for drunk and drugged driving deaths. In fact, drunk driving deaths and underage drinking increase around popular celebrations. Alcohol remains the second leading cause of death and disability in Los Angeles County, and is associated with over 54 acute and chronic health conditions. It is illegal in every state to drive with a blood-alcohol concentration of (BAC) of .08 or higher, yet:
The Unlucky Facts:
RAD Reminds to you to Plan Ahead for a Safe St. Patrick’s Day with 5 simple tips:
1. TALK about the risks of excessive alcohol use with your teens, friends and family.
2. ONLY DRIVE SOBER Designate a non-drinking driver before any celebration, and encourage others to do the same.
3. TAKE THE KEYS Never let friends drive under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
4. BE A RESPONSIBLE HOST Serve water and offer non-alcoholic beverages.
5. NEVER PROVIDE ALCOHOL TO MINORS Keep alcohol away from minors and supervise.
Participating Businesses: THANK YOU!
RAD updates from across the SGV.